Jade Lee Blogs

Thoughts and Stuff from Jade Lee, author of Exotic Fiction

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Festival of Life!

For those of you who don’t know, my mother passed early this year. As part of a Buddhist Festival of Life, my sister paid a farmer to raise 6 pheasants. The birds (which are actually quite beautiful) reached the appropriate age for release this weekend, so we set free into a no-hunting zone. Hopefully they’re smart enough to stay there and not wander off! The Festival of Life, btw, just asks that the mourners release something that would have been killed back into the wild.





Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a picture of the pheasants flying free. They’re fast! But here we are—I’m in the dragon tee shirt!

2 Comments:

Blogger gnosticserenity said...

I am sorry for your loss. I know it is hard. That is a beautiful ritual. I really love learning more about the Buddhist traditions.

October 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Shauna Roberts said...

Sorry to hear about your mother. What a nice ritual. When you started the story, I was afraid the birds would be sacrificed at the end, although I guess that would have been a very un-Buddhist thing to do.

October 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home